04 June 2012

4 drawer nook table

So there I was at the Thrift Store and I came across this jewel::




I know, you're thinking "And she bought that?!"


But hey, I love the trim and the drawers and really, it was only 5 euro ($6.81).. Yes, it's MFW but she's really sturdy.. Great for 3 year home!


Well, I'm not much for the look of the "don't-look-close-and-I-actually-maybe-kinda-look-like-real-wood" kind of work, so that had to go.


Get the screwdriver, wrench, and whatever else you need to remove all the hardware from the furniture.. This will make your painting job look clean and professional. (keep the hardware in a bowl, or plastic baggie, or whatever is easiest for you.


Clean her up! Wipe down the whole thing, make sure there is no dust or anything.


TIME TO PAINT! (since it's not real wood, I opt NOT to sand it down, some people will sand it down a little, but I don't) I used Krylon Primer - Grey..


Wait 30 minutes


Another coat of primer


Wait 30 minutes


Then, you have this:




I usually let this dry for a day, just to make sure it's really really dry.


Decision time: Do I keep the old hardware? or buy new? Since this table is not real wood and not something I plan to keep for generations, I'm going to keep the old hardware. I don't like the look of brass finish hardware on black furniture so I'm going to paint them too!


Now, here is a neat trick for painting hardware. I take a paper grocery bag, punch holes in the fold and then secure the hardware. I also put a piece of tape to hold them upright because the hardware is a little heavy. Now I can paint all of them at once and not get paint all over my hands. I used Krylon Stainless Steel finish spray paint for these bad boys.




Paint them, wait 30, minutes, paint them, wait 30 minutes, paint them, wait 30 minutes.








Then put three thin coats of glossy black spray paint on the drawers.


Now comes my FAVORITE part, put everything back together!


What do you think?




No comments:

Post a Comment