12 June 2012

Reading Lamp

Look at what I found at the thrift store today! For a whopping $3 it was a steal for sure.. It's wrought iron, super heavy and absolutely perfect for a lamp I want to go in the Reading nook.
Next, I need a lamp shade.. I bought three lamps (each for $1) from a going out of business sale at a hotel.. Two of the lamps I plan to put in our bedroom, and the third I bought for the lampshade. 

Now since it is the plain ugly canvas lampshade, it's time to cover it! I'm think Burlap!


Yeap, I used good old Elmer's glue.. it's super easy and in a couple years when I get tired of burlap, it should be easy to replace.

I used a paintbrush to spread out the glue and then rubbed the burlap down to get out any air bubbles. Notice the clothes pins as I go? it helps keep everything nicely in place.


 Now comes the seam... Ugh.. I cut it and gave it about a one inch overlap that I folded under. 
Now, let it dry overnight.. 



Then I cut the burlap even with the edge of the lampshade.. 

Then I glued on an 1" black ribbon around the top and bottom.


What do you think??



No comments:

Post a Comment